Handicraft is one of the most characteristic arts of Abruzzo and made in Italy, even if craftsmen are not always valued and supported. There aren’t clear definitions and appropriate limits that allow a better understanding of art and high-quality handcrafted product defined artefact. The label “handcrafted” is often given also to products not handmade. The existence of a legislation that certifies an hand-manufactured product distinguishing it from another, that is due to the work of a mechanic-technology operation, creates a disorganization and misunderstanding related to handicrafted. Comparing with others, the handmade work must be valued due to the work quality artists.
Abruzzo Natural selected some of the best Abruzzo craftsmen and tried to draw up some cornerstones of its philosophy:
• Most of the handcrafted work is handmade.
• Artefact quality arises even from times and longer rhythms compared with industrial production that is based on production speed and quantity. Every items needs creator’s time.
• Techniques are the result of a knowledge passed on for many generations in workshops or through specific studies.
• The most interesting materials are the natural, quality and typical of the region where craftsmen works.
• Every work is the explicated or hiden expression of craftsmen. The work is a project outcome where the executor’s“hand” and style appear, even if partially.
• The handcrafted work often underlines irregular signs that, even if repeted, present some differences in detailes. Every sign is different and unique.
• Craftsmen have high level technical, artistic, ingenious and creative abilities.